Application period for 2022 is now closed.
Applications for 2023 will open in August and close on September 30.
Women’s stories are vital and important. Currently, those stories whether expressed in poems, plays, novels, essays, or memoirs are not published, reviewed, or promoted as often as the work of men. Storyknife provides women with the time and space to explore their craft without distraction. Every aspect of a residency at Storyknife is steeped in a profound generosity of spirit so that each writer knows she and her work are valuable. Storyknife residents carry away both this affirmation and a living community of women writers to assist their valuable work wherever they go.
Residencies at Storyknife in Homer, Alaska, are either for two or four weeks. Resident’s food and lodging is covered during the period of their residency, but travel to and from Homer, Alaska, is the responsibility of the resident. Residents stay in individual cabins & dine at the main house. An on-staff chef is responsible for food preparation.
Four week residencies begin on the 1st of each month and end on the 28th. Two week residencies begin on the 1st of each month and end on the 15th OR begin on the 15th and end on the 28th. Residencies are available April through October.
Applications for 2022 are now closed. Applications for the 2023 residency period will open on August 1, 2022. Please make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter below or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
- Be woman-identified
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Apply as an individual artist, not a collaborative group or team
Please note that the Board of Directors of Storyknife has mandated that all residents must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of that vaccination prior to residency.
You will provide a work sample and answer three questions (each answer 300 words or fewer).
- How have you sought to educate yourself as a writer? (Formal education not a prerequisite, but evidence of curiosity and learning in your applicable genre is.)
- What is your experience with publishing your work? (Publishing is not a prerequisite but is considered a goal for writers who attend Storyknife.)
- What project will you pursue while in residency? (Please note that you will be free to work on whatever writing you wish during residency. We simply are interested in what you think you’ll be pursuing.)
Work Sample Requirements:
- Work samples should reflect work completed within the last two years. All work samples must be uploaded through Submittable. Written work samples will be uploaded directly within the application.
- Applicants can submit published or unpublished work samples.
- All work samples must be combined into one PDF file.
- A writing sample not to exceed 10 pages (prose: double-spaced 12 point font, poetry: single-spaced 12 point font acceptable). Prose includes screenplays and stage plays which also must conform to the 10 page limit.
- Any writing samples with identifying material will be disqualified. Identifying material is your name, address, or publication credits. This only refers to the writing sample, not the answers to the questions. This is an anonymous jurying process.
Storyknife is committed to diversity and elevating voices of historically excluded communities. We value all aspects of diversity and seek to make each resident’s time at Storyknife as productive and pleasant as possible.
Please contact executive director, Erin Hollowell, at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about accommodation or to speak further about your needs. Storyknife is welcoming to all and will work with you to meet your needs.
There is a $35.00 fee to apply for residency. These funds are used to support Storyknife and are collected through the Submittable application process. If you cannot afford this application fee, please contact email@example.com. This a limited opportunity, so please inquire early in the application process.
If you have questions regarding your eligibility or preparing your application, contact executive director, Erin Hollowell, at firstname.lastname@example.org.